Reviewing & Service
- Member of the IEEE Visualisation & Graphics Technical Committee
- Member of founding steering committee IEEE Transactions on Computational Intelligence and Artificial Intelligence in Games.
- Member of EPSRC College since 2003.
- Panel member for review panels at EPSRC, ESRC and DTI.
- Program chair for IEEE Virtual Reality 2007, 2008 & 2009.
- Associate editor of MIT Press journal, Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments.
- Associate editor of International Journal of Human Computer Science.
- Associate editor of IEEE Transactions on Visualisation and Computer Graphics.
- Associate editor of Computers & Graphics.
- Associate chair of ACM CHI 2005.
- Program committee or reviewer on multiple occasions for the major conferences ACM VRST, IEEE VR, ACM CHI, ACM SIGGRAPH and ACM Multimedia.
- Frequent reviewer for many journals in my core field and related disciplines.
- External reviewer for research grant applications from Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands & USA.
I gave the keynote speech at IEEE DS-RT 2004 in Budapest, Hungary
I gave the keynote speech at IPT and EGVE 2005 in Aalborg, Denmark.
Keynote speech at INTUITION 2008: Virtual Reality in Industry and Society: From Research to Application
Keynote speech at IADIS 2011.
Keynote speech at VS-Games, September 2013.
Keynote speech at VRCAI, November 2013.
Keynote speech at 3DCVE@IEEEVR2014, March 2014.
Keynote speech at EGVE-ICAT, November 2014.
A while ago I was on and then chaired the Technical Advisory Board of the Web3D Consortium. I was involved in the standardisation of VRML97 and some of the work for recommendations to extend the standard.
Apart from academic output, some collaborations have led to publicly displayed works.
The Drift Table, was designed by Andy Boucher and Bill Gaver at the RCA. I wrote the software and helped with the design of the interface. A Drift Table was displayed in Tate Britain in summer 2005 in a studio associated with the exhibition A Picture of Britain. The Drift Table is now touring, and has been to the V&A and the Kulturhuset in Stockholm. A Drift Table has recently been purchased for Tate Britain’s permanent collection.
Collaboration with Jon Fawcett on creating architectural visualisations for his exhibition at the RCA.
Thrill Laboratory at the Dana Centre October 2006.
Chirp was short-listed for the Design of the Year award and exhibited in the Design Museum